5 Reasons your travel agent didn’t call you back right away.
1. He/she was on hold for hours with a supplier. Literally hours waiting on hold for Air Canada (Transat/WestJet etc etc) Travel Agent Support to solve 1 little problem that is impossible to fix on-line independently. (For example a name correction, like when a husband forgets that the daughter’s middle name has 2 “n” and it HAS to be corrected).
(In these cases most agents will try to send you a quick email when the phone is tied up.)
2. There’s a client at the desk. They have the agent’s full attention. The client is planning their dream vacation. Or, they might have just popped in to make a payment, but they still deserve undivided attention.
3. There’s an emergency with a client in active travel. Take a hurricane in the Caribbean for example. We may not notice it at home in Canada but absolutely positively it could be disrupting travel for Canadians that we work with. Agents regularly field calls from worried travellers who need re-routing or help with their insurance. These individual situations can take hours and command immediate action. These stressful situations occur more regularly than you’d imagine! Though it can be very challenging & time consuming it is very satisfying to successfully solve problems for your clients & bring them home safely. It’s a good feeling when things work out and your expertise helps them out of a real jam.
4. Your contact information wasn’t complete. We can’t return your call if the voicemail doesn’t have a name or phone number. Or the number you said so quickly was impossible to understand.
5. This one is a harsh truth. If the client regularly uses the agent for information but never actually books a vacation with the agency, you won’t be the first person they rush to call back when there’s 6 more also waiting on the list. Agents dread the message “Oh sorry, I just booked it myself online. Thanks for all your help though.” Especially in those agencies where they don’t charge any consulting fees.
Even if you are the most wonderful client and friend, there will be times that answers and phone calls aren’t instant. Please don’t take it personally. I bet that 99 times out of 100 something significant has literally derailed your agent’s day & they’re tied up “putting out fires.” We’re all just people trying to help people!